Aug 10th
29%
Any weekend will work
23%
I picked a different month / unable to go
5%

Total votes : 72

Postby pagan-warrior on Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:00 pm

I am most certainly willing to "Cowboy up" and do what I can. Sounds like the next step is to pin down a head count ASAP. For the info of all: There are 5 probable locations in Vallejo for rooms:

1. Best Western Inn @ Marine World (pool/spa)

2. Comfort Inn (pool/spa)

3. Ramada (pool/spa)

4. Relax Inn (spa)

5. Courtyard Marriott (pool/spa, bar, cafe)

Not arranged in any particular order. Will we require a Hospitality Room?

OK, folks, pass the word around to all you can reach, and ask them to get attendance info to me ASAP. The sooner we block out the rooms, the better the rate we can negotiate.

My email: mailto:hawts@spawar.navy.mil

Office phone: 619-767-4677 (0630-1500 PST M-F)
Ron Hawtree 1970-1990
Mare Island 6/70-6/71.
DLG-22 9/71 as DSSN, left 1/77 as frocked DS1.
FCTCP 2/77-4/80
CG-33 4/80-3/84
MOTU-5 4/84-3/88
CG-21 4/88-3/90
Retired DSC 5/90
DoD contractor 4ever (General Dynamics)
pagan-warrior
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Rate: DSC
Duty Stations: DS 'A' 06/70-02/71
Elsewhere 02/71-09/71 DSSN
DLG/CG-22 09/71-01/77 DSSN-DS1 selectee
FCTCP 02/77-04/80 DS1
CG-33 04/80-03/84 DSC
MOTU-5 04/84-04/88
CG-21 04/88-02/90 DSCS selectee Retired 02/90
DoD contractor since 12/90
Currently General Dynamics IT Group
C Schools: USQ-20 Periph 02/72
SYA-4/UYA-4 Difference Course sometime in early 74
Link-11 stuff 4/86
NEC's: 1616, 1623, 1665, 1668 & 2M 'C' card carrier

Postby dennis on Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:04 pm

herring wrote:Todd is calling around getting info, he is the Local Point Man. he is also looking a possible boat tour out to the moth ball fleet. Maybe for saturday...not sure. Yes, it is languishing a bit, but still rolling at least.

I think there may be a bit of uncertainty because folks do not know what is going on and who is doing what. Not being critical but just my observation from here. I was just trying to help again because I have done this stuff, but will stay out of it as you seem to want to cover it which is fine with me. I have enough to keep my busy . . . to much. So have at it. Like I have said in the past, based on what I know, the way to get this stuff done is to communicate with all and form a team with those who can help. My two cents.

However, I cannot recommend the boat trip in Susuin to see the old ships. It is mostly depressing to see so many of them in disrepair and not a particularly scenic area. I was out there to see USS ENGLAND in her final days, actually was able to get MARAD to let me on board here with the USS STERETT folks. It was good to see her, but she was crying. Seriously, I could hear her when I left her. She’s gone now but I wouldn’t go back there.
dennis
Donating Member
Donating Member

Postby herring on Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:13 pm

dennis wrote:
herring wrote:Todd is calling around getting info, he is the Local Point Man. he is also looking a possible boat tour out to the moth ball fleet. Maybe for saturday...not sure. Yes, it is languishing a bit, but still rolling at least.

I think there may be a bit of uncertainty because folks do not know what is going on and who is doing what. Not being critical but just my observation from here. I was just trying to help again because I have done this stuff, but will stay out of it as you seem to want to cover it which is fine with me. I have enough to keep my busy . . . to much. So have at it. Like I have said in the past, based on what I know, the way to get this stuff done is to communicate with all and form a team with those who can help. My two cents.

However, I cannot recommend the boat trip in Susuin to see the old ships. It is mostly depressing to see so many of them in disrepair and not a particularly scenic area. I was out there to see USS ENGLAND in her final days, actually was able to get MARAD to let me on board here with the USS STERETT folks. It was good to see her, but she was crying. Seriously, I could hear her when I left her. She’s gone now but I wouldn’t go back there.

Dennis....please stop with the "Have at it"s and the "Fine"s. I never said I have it, or that I did not want help. I am not LEAD on this...I am just in here helping. All I said was that Todd is getting some information and that he is local. And that YES...it is languishing, but still moving. I already asked for a head count. If people are not reading the thread and saying ONE FOR ME, or FOUR FOR ME AND MY FAMILY...or whatever, there is not alot I or anyone can do. I don't have personal addresses to send out an invitation so that people can RSVP. Don't take every comment I make as a DENNIS, BUTT OUT. Your events that you have planned seem to be a little more grandiose than what we are looking at here...and that is the ONLY thing that I have to say about your approach. Your help and feedback is appreciated...as I have said in the past and will say again if need be. I have thanked you on here, and in PMs for your help and feedback. This is not MY site...and I had to figure out how to post the polls...and then got negative feedback, so I changed it, and got MORe negative fdeedback...and finally, a poll was up and people voted. Then I requested a mass email...and all I did there was point out to you that I already did what you had suggested...since you were the one giving me the negative feedback on my polls.

It would be very nice to have your feedback on things, Dennis. You have done this before. Please stop getting offended by my comments, we all acknowledge that you are the resident expert on planning these things. This is my first go round. The Norfolk thing was easy. A date was picked, and then it was come or not. Someone called a bar and checked to see if we could go there. Someone else called a hotel and checked on rates. That same person gained access to one point of interest. And it was a great time. Just want this to be as much fun and as stress free and casual as that one was.

As date has been picked, and hotel information has been posted.

I will continue to talk to Todd about things...but seems to me that the less "organized" this event is, the better it will be. Friday night...meet for drinks and conversation. Saturday...meet at the Island for a tour and a family potluck gathering. Saturday night...well, you are on your own. I figure groups will form...and people with famillies will want to do family things...since it is their family vacation and all. I don't think this is supposed to be FORMAL..with a banquet of anything like that.

Again...I am sorry if you think I am trying to tell you to butt out. I am not, nor would I ever, tell you or anyone to do that.
herring
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rate: DS3
Duty Stations: Mare Island 88-90
USS Puget Sound AD-38 90-93
A School Class: 8902/8903
C Schools: UYK-65 SNAP-1

Postby paulechols on Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:33 pm

I voted and hope to meet all you crazy DS people. Will try like hell to get there. Just hope no one expects me to open up the Liquor Locker!!
Paul A. Echols
Angleton, TX 77515
979-308-4273

DS3 1974 - 1978
Mare Island 1974 - 1975
Mare Island Drill Team 1974 - 1975
USNS Chauvenet TAGS- 29
USS Reeves CG-24
SI>Nortel>Auto-Trol > Compaq>TRT>MCS > D+H since 1991
paulechols
Donating Member
Donating Member

Duty Stations: Mare Island
USNS Chauvenet
USS Reeves
A School Class: 1974-1975
C Schools: A/B perif
What is a number less than 5 and more 3?: 4
How many moons does the earth have?: 1

Postby dennis on Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:42 pm

herring wrote:Dennis....please stop with the "Have at it"s and the "Fine"s. I never said I have it, or that I did not want help.

I do not want to see this fall into needless drama or diatribe but to say that I am not offended and not intending to be critical as I have said. Nothing was ever negative (beyond no desire to see MARAD), just advice and I already presented to you weeks ago the need to limit the scope somewhat so I have no grandiose plan. I have offered what I could, knowing what I know, take that for what it is worth, use it as you like or not.

Again I recommend that you have a plan, form a team (many folks have offered to help and should be used), communicate with all and move forward so as to make an excellent event. I am sure it will be fine so have at it! :roll:
dennis
Donating Member
Donating Member

DS Re-Union

Postby carterdsc on Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:32 pm

Aug 10
God Bless America and it's Veterans
carterdsc
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Duty Stations: Instructor Duty, Mare Island, CA; USS Chandler DDG-996; USS Cushing DD-985; USS Nimitz CVN-68; Fleet Technical Support Center Pacific (FTSCPAC) Everett, WA.
A School Class: 1981
C Schools: CGN-38 Display Pipeline and AN/UYK-43 Computer Pipeline.

Postby WSJanus on Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:45 pm

I may not make it in August...I have 3 other places to be at the same time...can't do 'em all. I hope to make it.

btw- I found Steve Aguirre up in Vacaville. You can find him via NavyTogetherWeServed.com - it's a great website to find shipmates....he said he'd be willing to do some of the guy-on-the-spot stuff. Whoever is in charge of this event should contact him...or send contact info to me and I'll get him to call or something.

Who IS in charge of the event, anyway? We should have a single poc to coordinate and be responsible for posting "official" info to reduce, elliminate confusion.
Wanda Janus
DS"A" & "C" 6/74 - 6/75
Naval War College 8/73-1/78
NAVFAC Brawdy 3/78-9/79
NAVFAC Antigua 10/79-2/82
CSTSC 4/92-9/85
NAVCAMS WESTPAC 11/85-4/87
Retired LDO CDR (1 Sep 06)
WSJanus
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Rate: DSC/CDR
Duty Stations: RTC Orlando (3/74-5/74); NTC San Diego (5/74-6.74); CSTSC/DS'A' & 'C' (6/74-6/75), NWC Newport, RI (8/74-1/78), NAVFAC Brawdy (3/78-9/79); NAVFAC Antigua (10/79-2/82); CSTSC/DS'A' instructor (5/82-8/85). Commissioned LDO (9/1/85)... NAVCAMS WESTPAC Guam, OCEANOGRAPHIC UNIT ONE, NAVCOMSTA Harold E Holt, NAS Alameda, MOTU-15/FTSCPAC DET EVERETT, USS JFK, SPAWAR Space Field Activity, OPNAV N785, NAVSPECWARCOM
A School Class: Grad 1/75
C Schools: A/B Periph 3/75-6/75

Postby herring on Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:40 am

Todd Woods and Ron Hawtree are the CA points of contact. Information has been posted about hotels and the dates. I don't have a head count, neither do they. I guess the best thing to do would be if you are going, send Todd a message to let him know. Then if we get a group large enough to matter, AND they agree on the same hotel, then a group rate can be negotiated.
herring
Site Admin
Site Admin

hotel rooms

Postby WSJanus on Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:08 pm

Reserving a block of rooms is easy and a definite head-count is not required. You find a hotel that has rooms available with a decent rate (people will stay there or not...not your problem...you've offered your help and they either take it or they don't). Ask to reserve "X" (give it a SWAG) rooms and give them a credit card number to hold them. They will give you a group number for people to use to reserve aone of those rooms. You and the hotel come to an agreement on a date to release the rooms. Any rooms not reserved by that date are released back to the hotel for normal sales and the initial credit card is not charged for any rooms not used.

The earlier you reserve the room block, the better the rate (usually). The hotel will want to release unbooked rooms about a week prior to the event. I have done this many times for meetings and for my retirement, and have never been burned...of course, I also kept in contact with the hotel to track the number of rooms reserved (sometime you need and can get more rooms) and ensured unreserved rooms were released on the date agreed. Also, unless the hotel has booked everything else, they will extend the deadline beyond the initial agreed date, if you know others may still call to get a room.
Wanda Janus
DS"A" & "C" 6/74 - 6/75
Naval War College 8/73-1/78
NAVFAC Brawdy 3/78-9/79
NAVFAC Antigua 10/79-2/82
CSTSC 4/92-9/85
NAVCAMS WESTPAC 11/85-4/87
Retired LDO CDR (1 Sep 06)
WSJanus
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Rate: DSC/CDR
Duty Stations: RTC Orlando (3/74-5/74); NTC San Diego (5/74-6.74); CSTSC/DS'A' & 'C' (6/74-6/75), NWC Newport, RI (8/74-1/78), NAVFAC Brawdy (3/78-9/79); NAVFAC Antigua (10/79-2/82); CSTSC/DS'A' instructor (5/82-8/85). Commissioned LDO (9/1/85)... NAVCAMS WESTPAC Guam, OCEANOGRAPHIC UNIT ONE, NAVCOMSTA Harold E Holt, NAS Alameda, MOTU-15/FTSCPAC DET EVERETT, USS JFK, SPAWAR Space Field Activity, OPNAV N785, NAVSPECWARCOM
A School Class: Grad 1/75
C Schools: A/B Periph 3/75-6/75

Postby ivan on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:57 am

Well, I voted for the one with the biggest number....however, any time works for me, I think. :lol:
ivan
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Rate: HT1(SW)
Duty Stations: Stationed on USS South Carolina (CGN37) from July '88 to Dec 23rd '93. Crossed to HT in June '93. Was stationed on USS Eisenhower (CVN-69) from Sept 97 through Oct 02. Reitred Dec 31, 2007.
A School Class: 88220

Postby herring on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:01 am

ivan wrote:Well, I voted for the one with the biggest number....however, any time works for me, I think. :lol:

welcome to the site Ivan!!!!
herring
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Todd94590 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:37 pm

hey, rusty,

given that the time frame is indeed starting to get close,

any my lack of activity on this site, give me a call quickly

on my cell, 707-331-4978. Got some ideas and I would rather

deal with a voice than a webpage.

I also got an email from Jim McGoran, if you would call me, too.

I still have not contacted the city and Lennar for reserving the space

and opening up CSTSC, still on the to do list, and also a note to all here:

I talked to a guy who runs boat tours of the mothball fleet; he runs tours

once a month, but when I told him of a reunion, he replied that he could

be chartered for a day. Is there interest in seeing the USS Iowa?? (it's

in the mothball fleet).

Anyways, Rusty, call me now, today.

Todd in Vallejo

**edit** want to add my real email address, for anyone else wanting to communicate directly with me: mailto:wtwoods@sbcglobal.net

thanks
CSTSC A & C Schools, Mare Island, CA 1987-88
FCTCLant, CV-TSC School, Dam Neck, VA 1988
PCU Abraham Lincoln, Newport News, Norfolk, Alameda 1988-1992
CSTSC, C School Instructor 1993-1995/6
Civilian 1995/6-present.
Todd94590
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Rate: DS2
Duty Stations: CSTSC M.I, FCTCLant Dam Neck, PCU Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) Newport News, VA, Norfolk, VA, Alameda, CA, Closed down CSTSC MI
A School Class: 8740
C Schools: 1655 CV-TSC. Schools @ MI & Dam Neck

Postby herring on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:55 pm

talked to todd...he is researching the golf course, and a pic-nic on mare island in front of H-1 if he can figure out who has jurisdiction and what we have to do to get tables and stuff. todd, thank you for all your help.

friday night, august 10th...still looking around for a friday night venue....
herring
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby herring on Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:47 pm

called 3 places so far...all are very interested in having us there...one mentioned a discount on beverages...hmmmmmmm....

anyway...

blue rock inn
dunphys tavern
georges den.

I guess georges has been around since the 60s...so some of us may have been there.

will keep checking...anyone with feedback on these 3 venues would be kick a$$!!!!!!!!!!
herring
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JDMcGoran on Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:44 pm

I'll throw this out as food for thought.

Possible site;
Doubletree Hotel Sonoma Wine Country
One Doubletree Drive
Rohnert Park
1-707-584-5466
fax:1-707-586-9726

Permanent pick up and drop off location for Aiport Express bus
OAK & SFO
inhouse rental car agency for side trips

offers Wine Country tours.
walking distance to golf Course, if you want to bring clubs.

great food; have had Sunday Brunch there many times.

In-house Cocktail Lounge ; for you lounge lizards

Lounge overlooks pool for "Bird" watching

http://doubletree.hilton.com
(may have to type in link)
use locater to zero in on Ca, Sonoma, Rohnert park
77-78 MI.
78-81 USS Paul F. Foster DD-964
81-87 CSTSC "C" Display
87-90 USS John Rodgers DD-983
90-99 Reserves; CINCPACFLT & Naval Control of Shipping Chinhae
99-now RET. playing with my trains & pulling weeds.
JDMcGoran
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PreviousNext

Return to 2007 Reunion